Gift Aid Explained

If you’re a UK taxpayer, your donations could be worth 25% extra to BlindAid at no cost to you!

Gift Aid is a scheme that allows charities to reclaim tax on a donation made by a UK taxpayer, which means your donations will be worth 25% more to us at no extra cost to you.  If you Gift Aid your donations we can claim back from the government 25p for every £1 you donate to BlindAid.

This additional income really does make a big difference, so please don’t forget to Gift Aid donations if you are a UK tax payer.


  •  Do I qualify for Gift Aid?

To qualify for Gift Aid you must have paid enough UK tax in the tax year that you make your donation (6 April one year to 5 April the next) to cover the amount which we will reclaim.   You don’t necessarily have to be working to be paying tax.  You still qualify for Gift Aid if you pay Capital Gains Tax, have taxable investments or rental income, taxable pension plans or taxable savings. Unfortunately, we can’t claim Gift Aid on company donations or individual donations using CAF (Charities Aid Foundation).


  • How do I Gift Aid my donation?

To Gift Aid your donation, complete the Gift Aid form and send it back to us.


  • What we need to claim Gift Aid

  1. A completed Gift Aid Form with your full name and home address
  2. A donation made from a personal bank or building society account
  3. The donation must be your own money and not the proceeds of a collection
  4. For you to be paying income tax or capital gains tax which at least equals the amount BlindAid and other charities and community amateur sports clubs will claim in the appropriate tax year (6 April one year to 5 April the next). This is currently 25p for every £1 you give.


  • Keep us updated

Using the declaration form, we can claim Gift Aid on all your donations in the last 4 years and all future donations. Once you have become a Gift Aid donor, please let us know if you stop paying tax or if you change your name/address so that we can update our records.


  • Find out more

Gift Aid is a tax scheme run by the Government. To find out more, visit the HMRC website.